The Opposite of Normal

Strange thoughts from the inner workings of my mind, fortified with 200% of the USDA recommended daily value of snark.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

AD&D Online Stormwatch Beta

Disappointed at not being accepted into Vanguard Beta (yet, anyway), I've been playing a lot of Civ IV (fun!) and some console games (Disgaea, again). What should appear in my inbox last night? A beta invitation.

To AD&D Online: Stormwatch. For those of you who don't keep up to date on these things, AD&D Online: Stormwatch is an upcoming MMORPG that's based on the AD&D license (which is HUGE), developed by Turbine (of Asheron's Call 1 fame, and Asheron's Call 2... un-fame). Stormwatch is based on the AD&D 3.5 ruleset (which I'm not familiar with -- I'm only familiar with up to 3.0).

I barely even remember signing up -- I heard about it, made an account on their forums, and signed up on a whim. I heard they got over 150,000 signups, so I more or less wrote off my chances of getting in. But I'm in. And I'm excited to take a look at what they've done.

From reading the manual, a couple of things stick out:
1) The interface appears to be extremely simple/streamlined. This may or may not be a good thing.
2) Monks (my favorite v3.0 class!) are not one of the classes you can play. I loved their high magic resistance and the fact that they were basically anti-mage tanks. I'm not sure if this omission is a game-choice or if they were removed from 3.5.

Fortunately, Wizard has the 3.5 ruleset published online, so I will be having a read. And then I'll go online and see if Turbine's latest game is worth testing. General impressions in a few days (nothing NDA breaking though).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home